May 9, 2026

Jordan Visit and Chinatown

It's the day before Mother's Day and my brother and his wife were in town for a concert so we decided to meet up for breakfast in downtown Vancouver. It's a bit of a trek for us to get there but we don't mind doing it a few times a year. Out plan was to meet at the Palate Kitchen which is a moderately priced restaurant located in a old bank. As soon as we walked in it was obvious it had been something else in the past as it had the old style polished concrete flowers and high ceilings. We were seated on the mezzanine layer. Breakfast was quite excellent. I had Famous French Toast which was deep fried cinnamon toast with seasonal berries and caramel sauce. As I get older and need to eat less I can see a world where we downsize to somewhere with restaurants like this and eat out regularly.  When you only need to eat a couple of times a day, it's more affordable then when you are young and are eating 3 or 4 times a day. I also like the idea of always eating something high quality where as when I'm at home the quickness of chicken fingers isn't exactly high quality.

We walked with Jordan and Karla until we got to Wendel's books which I felt Callie had to experience before making our way over to Chinatown. I've lived down here for 27 years and never really explored the area or gone to the Sun Yat Sen Classical Garden so I told the family we could count this as Father's day since we were in the neighbourhood. The garden is nice and the hardscaping is well done but the plants themselves are not what I would have expected. I realize it's not a Japanese garden but I was expecting more than just basic landscaping. I'm still glad I went. Happy Father's Day to me!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment