If you asked Kerry why I chose to move the shed she would probably say I did it so I could say I did. She may be partially correct however there are several more legitimate reasons.
1) It was sitting on top of a retaining wall that has long rotted out. I'm not replacing the retaining wall now but in the fall or spring it will need to be done.
2) It frees up a great area beside our house where we can potentially put a pond.
3) It had sunk into the ground and was starting to rot.
4) So that I can say I did it.
I did consider getting people to come over and help me move it but that would have required a lot of beer and it would probably have cost too much. I also didn't really know how much it weighed so I'm not sure how many people it would have taken. Once I got it as light as I could I think it was still around 750 lbs which would have been at least 6 or 8 people. I ended up raising it up on two 2x4 skids and used a come-along winch. I drove an aluminum fence post into the ground a few meters ahead, connected the winch to some steel cable and started to pull. About 1 inch per pull and about 8 feet before I had to reset the post.
Callie and Carter weren't quite strong enough to move it but they still helped by pulling on the winch for the first few pulls before there was any tension on the cable. This was quite exciting for them.
It's now tucked safely away in it's new home. I put it up on new concrete pier blocks with a gravel base and we should be able to get at least another 5 years out of it. Right now it's quite ugly but a new paint job and some landscaping should spruce it up nicely.
No comments:
Post a Comment