February 28, 2012

Repurposed

This posting is about retirement. Two different types of retirement actually. The first is for a colleague at work who is retiring tomorrow after 34 years of service. Al started at BC Hydro in 1977 which was the same year I was born. I'd like to wish him well in his next career which for BC Hydro personnel often involves working for BC Hydro in some fashion. I've learned that for most people retiring doesn't usually stick the first time and it takes a few tries to get the hang of it. I'm hoping to learn these lessons and apply them in 20 years to ensure I get it right.
The second kind of retirement has to do with the pictures shown here. A few months ago Al gave me an old mahogany bed that had seen better days. Someone in his family had made it for his son Nathan. I was happy to take it as it was 5/4 mahogany and had some very wide boards. After a bit of disassembly I had enough wood for two side tables with plenty to spare. I made the box on the left as a thank-you. The sides were all resurfaced but the top was from the head board and was left original. The bed has been retired but will live on in it's second career.

No comments:

Post a Comment