March 10, 2015

An Early Spring Garden

While the East coast has been socked in with record snow falls and cold weather, the rest of Canada and apparently the world have seen a different picture. In early February I was able to get out and get some gardening done. The lawn was already a foot high in some places so I had to get it cut. The garden was dry enough and warm enough to get tilled and prepped for planting. (I wasn't dumb enough to try to actually plant since there is definitely still a chance of frost in February.) All beds are cleaned and ready for the perennials to get a good start on the year.
It was also perfect timing for cleaning up the raspberries. I always clean out the old canes in the fall but the trellis I had keeping things up had seen better days and was always intended to be temporary. There was also a raised planter bed to the right of the strawberries that was rotted out and was more raspberries than strawberries anyways. I installed two 4x4 posts and strung string in between. I went with string for now but I think I'll replace with wire in the fall as it will be more stable and less stretchy. The canes to the left were transplanted from the raised bed. I should have an excellent crop this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment