A few months ago Jordan called me and asked if I wanted to go to a soccer game. I must admit I had no idea what he was talking about. Apparently the women's world cup of soccer was being held in Canada with the quarter final game in Vancouver. As I've looked into it, it seems that FIFA spends about 1 tenth of the budget on advertising for the women versus the men and I guess virtually nothing was spent locally because even leading up to the event, I saw very little mention of it.
It sounded like fun though so we agreed and Jordan and Karla bought tickets for the whole family. When he bought them it was impossible to know who would be playing. It would depend on where teams placed during the round robin and it would be luck of the draw. As it turned out we were lucky enough to get the Canadian game. They did well in their pool and won their game of 16 match which left them playing England in the quarter finals.
The game itself did not go Canada's way. Mistakes early in the first half resulted in two quick England goals. Canada had not scored more than one goal in all their previous games so it didn't look good. Being behind though left them needing to score which opened the game up and made for a lot of excitement. They scored late in the first half and had lot's of chances in the second. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. They were ranked 8th in the tournament so they did as well as expected. Half their team was quite good but they just didn't have a full squad. It was still a lot of fun to watch.
No comments:
Post a Comment