October 11, 2015

Camping in Astoria - Goonie Tour

The Goonies came out 30 years ago as of this year and it remains a fairly timeless movie. We showed it to the kids and they both loved it so they were very excited to be able to tour some of the scenes from the movie. This area has been the scene of quite a few movies from the 80's including Goonies, Kindergarten Cop and Short Circuit.

Today was going to be tour day for us and it started at the Oregon Movie Museum. This was previously a real jail and also was the scene of some key jail scenes from Goonies. The kids got to try out the jail cells and take some pictures with Sloth.
After our tour of the jail we got directions to the Goonie house. As we got close it became obvious that we were not the only people who took this tour. There were signs everywhere direction us where to park and especially where not to park. I imagine the local people don't mind the economic activity that comes with the tourists but they aren't necessarily happy when those tourists show up on their front lawn.
As we walked up to the house I was amazed that even though it was the middle of the week there were four other families walking with us. They must get over 100 people a day walking up to get their picture taken. The house is owned by just a regular family so they ask that you don't trespass though you are welcome to have someone take your picture in front of the house. Not much has changed and even the arbour in the garden is still in the same place as it is in the movie. A fun experience and we stayed pretty quiet so I don't think anyone would be too mad at us.
Our final destination was Haystack rock again. This time the tide was out and we could walk right up to it. The rock is home to thousands of sea birds so the national park people are there with plenty of signage about where you can and can't go. You can walk up to but not onto the island allowing you to see plenty of muscles and sea creatures in the tide pools surrounding the island. I took a stroll as far away from the rock as I could so I could try to use my  treasure coin to line up the rocks. Got to a pretty good place though not the final location since I think that was much further up on the bluff.
Our final destination for the day was a trip to ship wreck beach not far from our camp site. We were the only ones there and I must say that the Oregon beaches make you feel very small. Huge bluffs of blown sand and they head in both directions as far as the eye can see. There was a constant wind that removes foot prints quickly so it's as if no one has ever been there. I spent some time in building a shelter with some drift wood and the kids had a lot of fun playing in the waves. Oregon was beautiful and we will definitely return.

No comments:

Post a Comment