December 21, 2016

Seaweed Forts

In August it was a beautiful day so we took a trip down to White Rock Beach with the Kilden's. The tides are never at the same time each day and we never really know how far out they will be. At times there can be at least 500 feet of sandy beach to walk on. I'm pretty sure that's what Ryan was expecting because when we got there he looked quite dejected that he wasn't able to play in the sand. I've never actually seen the tides this far in. There was not a spec of sandy beach to play on.
As it turned out however, it was a blessing in disguise. The tides had been even farther in at one point and the whole beach was covered in about 6 inches of seaweed. It had apparently all blown in when it was windier and was far enough up on the beach that it had already mostly dried. If I had a truck and it was a more secluded beach I might have considered taking some home for the garden. Instead the kids and I had other plans.
It was easy to pick up big chunks of it at a time and within about an hour Carter and Callie both had their own seaweed fort. The walls were almost 3 ft tall and two feet thick. Ryan decided he wanted to build his between two big logs so Carter and Uncle Corey helped tow one of the logs down the beach for him. We were definitely the envy of the beach. Several other kids watched for a while and then eventually joined in and took over the forts when we left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment