January 6, 2019

Culture Crawl

When I first moved to Vancouver in 1999 I didn't have access to a shop or a garage at the place I was renting. After some research I found a great wood working co-op where I could rent space in the evening. It was at this time that I learned about the East Side Culture Crawl.  It's a 4 day event where artists studios on the East Side of Vancouver open their doors to show off their work. It's timed for the month before Christmas as many studios also have some of their work for sale. I've dragged the family in the past however this time I asked Callie if she wanted to go since she's really taken an interest in painting and making things.
With some encouragement and an invitation extended to one of her friends from school we were off to Parker Street studios which is the largest location that opens its doors. It's an old warehouse that's been broken up into individual studios. It's an organized maze and My understanding is that when it first started housing artists they would often just put up walls wherever they wanted. Proper hallways and sprinklers came later. Callie and her friend really seemed to enjoy themselves and even collected artists cards from many shops. (They liked the pictures.) Next year I'm going to try to go again and this time check out some other studios.

No comments:

Post a Comment