March 15, 2023

Spring Break 2023 - Day 3 - New Orleans and the National WWII Museum

We can't start every day with beignets at Cafe du Monde so today we had beignets at Cafe Beignet. Actually, just Callie and I did. Kerry and Carter branched out. To be honest we're not entirely sure we ended up at the right Cafe Beignet. Kerry and Callie had looked it up and we were heading in the right direction, but it turns out there our several and we may have been headed to one on Canal Street, but we ended up in a much smaller one. I think it was a lot nicer though. A hole in the wall that almost seemed like the inside of a streetcar with tiny birds wandering between your legs at the table.

From the beginning I had been attempting to get the family to go to the National WWII Museum as its one of the top museums in the US. They had it in their head that it was just some old planes at an airport. When we were driving to the swamp tour we drove by, and they realized it was an actual museum that looked pretty interesting. We didn't have anything else planned for the day so we decided we would come first thing in the morning. We had picked our breakfast location to be on the way, so it was only another 15-minute walk. 
The museum is incredibly well done. It takes you through the major events of the war and it has artifacts from land, sea, and air. If there is one fault of course it's that it is entirely from the American point of view. Not necessarily wrong but from walking through you would think the Americans lead the entire war effort. Kerry indicated she saw the word Canada mentioned once and I didn't see it at all. Even for D-Day they listed Omaha beach as well as 'four others' in at least one location. I still do strongly recommend you go if you are ever in New Orleans.
We spent the rest of the day in the French Quarter wandering around to some of the remaining sites we had on our list including Pat O'briens where Kerry and I got their signature Hurricane. The kids also had virgin versions. Mine was not virgin but perhaps it should have been. Those things hit hard. Kerry had the kids escort me through the French Market. We also stopped off at Hotel Royal which has a courtyard that was the inspiration for Marcel's house in 'The Originals'. As far as we can tell, they didn't shoot any actual scenes there.
We went to Louis Armstrong Park as there was a cemetery nearby that we wanted to check out. The Park itself consisted of some interesting ponds, statues and buildings though it was pretty empty. I think it has more going on when there are concerts in the concert hall. We attempted to go to the cemetery, but I should have remembered that the ones near the French Quarter are restricted to tours only. I think there would be too much traffic otherwise. Kerry got as close as she wanted to anyways by peering in through a gap in the front gate.
Speaking of dead people, Kerry and Callie had gone to Muriel's for dinner the night before and had to go back during the day today to check out the table set for Pierre the resident ghost. We now have our own official ghost story. As we were getting ready for bed, one of the lights flickered off casting half the room in darkness. Callie indicated it must be Pierre so I asked nicely if Pierre could turn the light back on until we were ready to go to bed. The light came on about a half a second later. Kerry is ready for us to get to Disney World now. 






No comments:

Post a Comment