This blog is intended for friends and family of Evan, Kerry, Callie, Carter and Oliver.
August 29, 2025
Cataract Surgery Round One
Apparently cataracts aren't something you just suddenly wake up and notice. They come on gradually and the symptoms aren't what I was expecting. I always felt they were more like points of darkness on your vision. Turns out it's more like a smudgy yellow window. Being only 47 I went to the eye doctor assuming I just needed an update on my prescription. A year later and a second opinion and it seems I had early onset cataracts. I say early onset because most people don't develop them until later however 1 in 20 can get them before the age of 50.At first I though my main symptom was slightly double vision. I didn't feel I had issues seeing colors. It was only after I had my first eye done that I realized how messed up my vision was. The picture on the right is a very close approximation. I can say this because I'm at the point where I have one eye done and can open and close my eyes to see the difference. Everything is brighter and there is no blurriness. After my initial diagnosis I started down the process of getting ready for surgery. I missed a very important step for my first appointment with the ophthalmologist. I was supposed to stop wearing my contacts for 5 days so that my eye returns to it's normal dimensions and they can do proper measurements. I had to wait an extra week for a second appointment. Once I got in they formally diagnosed me and scheduled my surgery. Being younger and based on how advanced my cataracts were they rushed me in. I could have had it done within just a few weeks but decided to wait a bit as we had a vacation planned and it can take a few weeks to recover. Once the date was set it was on to lens selection. I've spoken to several family members who have had the procedure done and each has had a slightly different experience. For myself I had access to 5 lens choices. From a free one covered by medical that had a shorter life span to one that would solve all vision issues from far to near but wasn't great at night. I went for the one that gave me good vision for all but reading.They weren't free but they are supposed to last a life time and vision isn't something I was about to cheap out on. With the lens selected it was time to prepare for the surgery. There wasn't a lot to do except for wait. They sent me a prescription for eye drops that I started taking the day before the surgery. On surgery day we arrived at the hospital and after a short wait were ushered into the surgery prep area. There were four seats and it was like an assembly line. The ophthalmologist does 3 sets of 7 on each of his surgery days. Everyone was very professional. I had to wear booties and a hat and they spent about 30 minutes administering eye drops of various types to numb and sterilize the eye. They offered Ativan which they said about 50% of people take but I chose not to. I wasn't really sure how I would react on it since I had never had it before. They indicated there would be minimal pain and the Ativan was more to relax you. Once it was my turn they walked me into the surgery room.Surgery itself was quick. You lie on a table with no restraints and they place a plastic bag with a cup cut into it over your eye so that you can't blink. The ophthalmologist then asks you to look directly at the light above and he goes to town. He starts by using a cotton swab to sterilize your eyeball and then makes the incision to take out the old lens. After a bit of spoon work you can tell your lens is gone because everything is bright with no clear points of light. He then pushes the new lens in and you can immediately start to see clearly. For me it was a bigger change because I have always warn contacts and now it was as if I had contacts in. He closes up and sends you on your way. My doctor was like Doctor Strange where he has music playing and sings along. There was also a computer voice assisting him indicating things like 'constant irrigation is on'. So far recovery has been quick. The first day was very bright because my eye remained dilated. I have to avoid heavy lifting but my sight is already clear and my main issues are that my second eye still needs to be done. That's happening in four weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment