February 2, 2025

Evan's Birthday

For my birthday this year I knew exactly what I wanted to do. A certain Republican president had recently taken office and had announced sweeping tariffs for everyone including Canada. Apparently 'friend-shoring' was not a concept and Canada was the little brother that he felt he could bully. The tariffs were supposed to take place on February 1st and thankfully were later delayed but the idea of supporting Canada was already born. We went down to Granville Island which is something I like doing but isn't overly convenient and things aren't cheap so there isn't a lot of incentive to make the trip. The one thing I feel about most issues though is that if money is going to be wasted I'd rather it get wasted locally. This goes for government contracts and apparently steaks as well. We found several cuts of beef that looked good as well as some sausages, fudge and bagels. It definitely would have been cheaper at Superstore but I enjoyed supporting local businesses. Same goes for travel. It will be hard avoiding the US for four years but I'd rather spend that money supporting things that support Canada. I don't see things changing until a new party comes to power.


No comments:

Post a Comment