June 21, 2026

Father's Day

To start the day I was on a mission. Facebook will often post pictures asking you if you have a 'Now and Then' version of a picture. They usually post it the day before the actual memory appears on your timeline. This year it happened to be a picture of Callie and Carter sitting on a bus stop bench in Vancouver and I knew there was a game for the FIFA world cup so I convinced them to go downtown to take in the atmosphere. Secretly though I knew which bus stop it was and the plan was to get them to take the same photo. My plan worked to perfection. At first I though maybe the bench was smaller but then I realized it was just the relative size of the two of them that made it look that way. It's also possible it was a slightly different bus stop but the impact was the same. 12 years of growth between pictures.

The FIFA world cup was of course another good reason to go downtown. I had been down a few days earlier and knew the atmosphere was great. Similar to the Olympics there was initially a lot of hesitation but once the event started and the weather was nice Vancouverites came out to take it all in. Science World was dressed up as a Soccer ball and Granville street was closed to traffic so that there was more street seating for the restaurants. Despite it not being a Canada game day, it was still very busy. At times it was difficult to walk down Granville street. I'm hoping they close it more regularly for events like this.
At one point we made our way over to Gas Town because I was. under the impression that was where the 'March to the Match' started which was sort of true for some teams and happened to be true for the New Zealand team. It started outside of the Blarney Stone pub and we got there just as it was leaving. Despite not being actual fans, it was still fun to see the hardcore football fans from New Zealand with their chants and smoke. This was a great Father's Day!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment