June 18, 2026

FIFA World Cup - Canada vs Qatar

Tickets to the FIFA World Cup in Vancouver were out of my price range at $500 being the lowest we saw. Paying $2,000 for the family was out of the question. Having said that I was still interested to see why there was so much fuss. My initial thought was that it was really just a game at BC Place every few days, so why did they have to virtually shut down the city? Once I arrived downtown I figured out what was going on. It was not just the people who had tickets, entire fan bases from Vancouver and likely people flying in without tickets made for an incredibly big event. The game started at 3:00p so I left work a bit early and made my way to Jack Poole Plaza. 

The plaza was where the 2010 olympic flame was still located and they had a FIFA fan zone set up. I think it was one of the broadcasters who had a desk and screens where you could watch the game. Canada won 6-0 and I watched the first half from the plaza. Once I realized it was going to be a fairly easy win for them, I decided to make my way to Granville to see that fan zone. I was amazed how may people didn't even know Canada was playing but were still taking in the atmosphere. At one point I couldn't get any further down the street. I then headed to Science World to check that fan zone before heading home. Go Canada!


No comments:

Post a Comment