April 4, 2011

Good Night Vancouver

I titled this post after one of Carter's books. These are a series of books that I'm sure are making someone a lot of money. I got the first one when I was in Phoenix. It was called Good Night Zoo and takes you through the process of waking up all the zoo creatures and ends with saying good night to them all. Good night Vancouver is similar except rather than zoo creatures it's various sights around Vancouver. One such sight is the Point Atkinson light house which is where we headed on Sunday for a walk. It's quite a large nature park in West Vancouver and is home to one of the last stands of old growth forest in the lower mainland. With two young kids we only saw a small percentage and I'm sure you could go there regularly and see something new every time.
Carter was our guide and took his role of holding the map very seriously. The round thing behind him in the picture was a slab of Douglas fir that was several hundred years old. You see these all over the place and sometimes I wonder if they're all from the same tree. (Again someone making a lot of money with a simple idea.) Carter was an excellent hiker. He insisted on walking almost the whole way and it was only when I mentioned "safety reasons" that he would let me pick him up. I think he's on to me though so that probably won't last much longer.
The park was a great place to take your dog as almost every one there seemed to have theirs with them. Callie's job was to look after Wilson and she looked very cute in her new sneakers. She did get a bit bored though as she thought we were going to do some treasure hunting. (Geocaching) Unfortunately most of the sites were a bit out of the way so we didn't get to any. We really enjoyed our hike though and I definitely think we'll go back to let Carter show us more of the area.

Below is a short video of Carter's determined hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment