1) A potential prototype for my own workbench.
2) I've always thought it would be neat for Callie and Carter to have their own workbench.
3) I'm going to be teaching woodworking to 30 grade 6/7 kids on Thursday's in April. (More on that in a future posting.)
The construction is pretty straight forward with a few fancy bits thrown in. The base is made of 4/4 poplar glued together to form thicker boards where necessary. The legs are mortise and tenoned into the base and upper stretchers and the lower stretchers are through tenoned into the legs with wedges. The top is made from 2x6 spruce cut in half and glued together and there is a vice that I picked up at a tool show several years ago. (It's okay for a kids bench but for $20.00 I got what I paid for. Very sloppy machining.) All together I think the it cost me about $75.00 and about 12 hours to build.
Callie and I put it to use immediately to make her a small toolbox for her gardening tools.So far the toolbox has been decorated with pencil crayons and about 30 red and pink stickers. Not sure where we'll store the bench but it's going to be great for crafts and for bringing up the next generation of wood workers.
No comments:
Post a Comment