November 6, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Halloween weekend officially kicked off on the Friday before for us. Callie and Kerry's school were holding a school dance. I don't recall having elementary school dances when I was a kid other than perhaps something for Grade 7 but this event is for the whole school. The tickets were free and they had  a cake walk, door prizes and even a smoke machine and strobe light. Callie had already prearranged to be there with several of her friends and within minutes they were out on the dance floor. One of the first songs was 'Firework' by Katy Perry which was the song everyone danced to at the end of her ballet recital. You could tell which kids went to the same dance school as they all had the same moves. Even Carter got out there to dance with Mommy. I don't have pictures but if you can picture him in his horse costume shaking his booty so that his tale swung back and forth you'll get the idea.
I decided to try a different technique for pumpkin carving this year. Usually I cut straight through but this year I tried one of the ones where you only remove the skin and most of the meat from the inside so that your image glows. It wasn't as difficult as I had thought so I think I'll try something a bit more challenging next year. (By challenging of course I mean copying someone else's work) This year's pumpkin was Phineas from Disney's Phineas and Ferb. A show for the whole family. My favourite trick-or-treaters were the eastern European  family who were speaking in their native language. The only word I understood was Phineas.
Carter was a horse of course, Callie was a witch and Kerry decided she needed something different then her old standby costume of Mickey Mouse's wizards hats along with some Mickey gloves. Our annual routine was disrupted a bit. Rather than the whole family heading over to Corey and Carmen's only Kerry and Callie were able to go. Carter wasn't feeling very well and fell asleep on the couch. He did manage to make it out with them when they got home and they had their biggest hull to date. I'm thinking giving out two candies per kid is stingy compared to what some of the other families were handing out. We only got 60 kids so maybe we'll do something special for candy next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment