June 2, 2012

...and this is crazy...

Today was day one of the Fraser Valley Grape Escape which is a two day bike tour of the Fraser Valley wineries in support of MS. This is the second year I've done the run and I'm a member of 'Team Doobs!". This year I raised $400.00 and as a team we close to $9000.00. A new record!

Day one has a long option and a short option. I figure I don't get forced to do such a long ride very often so I might as well go all out and do the long version which is 84 km. This year ended up being about 4km longer due to a detour around a semi that had gone into the ditch.
The wineries are spread out nicely along the route with no more than a 20k ride in between. You get to do the typical tasting and if  you purchase anything they send it forward to the finish line so that you don't have to drag it along with you. The wineries don't quite have the same feel as the Okanagan which seems to have a mental impact on tasting but I still picked up a nice Gewurtz for Kerry. We also picked up a Merlot from the winery that was impacted by the detour. We didn't really like the wine but we were the only ones there and we felt sorry for them. They probably took on extra staff for the day only to have 1/4 of the people show up.
Now for the various reasons of why I chose to name this post this way.
1) During the last km I got stung on the lip by a bee.
2) The detour had me going a rather crazy distance.
3) I seemed to have a problem with animal poo. I stepped in sheep and goose poo and at some point ran over dog poo.
4) I had to stop at one point for a goose crossing.
5) And finally, for virtually the entire trip I had 'Call Me Maybe' running through my head. Mainly because I kept meeting new people at each one of the checkpoints. I didn't give anyone my number.

Day two tomorrow. I believe it's only 56k and we stop for pie so it should be easier than day one.

No comments:

Post a Comment