June 3, 2012

MS Bike Ride Day Two

Day two of cycling started at 9:00a which is an hour earlier than day one.  I'm not sure why since getting up early on the second day is much harder. Our first leg was about 21k to the Fort Wine Company and was very flat the entire way making for an easy ride. This winery has what I call 'novelty wines' where they tend to take not too tasty wine and combine it with blueberries, cranberries etc. I don't like most of them but a few are quite good. I recommend lot's of tasting to make sure you get what you like. After that we went through a hilly section to get to Krauss Berry Farm. We always make an effort to go here at least a couple times a season as they have the most amazing pies.
This year they've done a ton of renovations on an already great store so it's nice to see a local farm doing well. With all the construction though they didn't have any pies for tasting. We'll have to go back in a month or so after their grand opening. They did however have cookies with lunch that looked 'healthy' but appeared to include strawberry jam. They were absolutely amazing. If anyone knows of any strawberry jam cookie recipes I'd be very interested. I finished the days 49k by 12:30 which was pretty good time considering the lengthy stop for lunch. I've been taking turns going to this event and going to watch the Oliver Half Ironman each year. For the Ironman we sit on my in-laws deck and drink wine. Interesting that I now officially have a weekend that traditionally includes wine each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment