The title of this post could also be "Christmas Tree Hunting But Not Finding". Last year was the first year we got a real Christmas tree and although it was a bit difficult for Callie to take the tree down when we were done, she did enjoy having a real tree and agreed to a real one this year as well. There are several tree farms relatively near us so we picked the one at Aldor Acres and went on our hunt. It was the last weekend in November and although the farm was open it only had the trees it had grown itself. It's a relatively small farm so it trucks additional trees in to meet demand.
We did our best to find a tree and there were several hundred to choose from. Each family member managed to find at least one tree they liked but the difficulty was finding one everyone liked. Carter wanted big, I wanted a fir, Callie wanted a friendly looking tree she could name. After about an hour of searching we decided we weren't going to find one. We still took some time out for cooking marshmallows, playing in the hay stack, petting the bunnies. We decided we would try out the nursery near us once they had their Christmas Tree lot set up.
The Christmas Tree lot didn't disappoint. I think those lots get their trees from professional farms rather than the local farmers that just plant some trees. They are pruned much more consistently and the price is very reasonable. In the end we chose a Norman Fir and Callie named it Norman. He was a great looking tree however he didn't seem to have a scent. I think we'll try out a Noble Fir again next year.
Now I just have to figure out what kind of woodworking project I will make out of him now that Christmas is done.
No comments:
Post a Comment