This year we had Carter's friend Luca and Callie's friend Anya over to make gingerbread houses. Although it is easier to just buy a kit, I bought a mould from Lee Valley several years ago and I much prefer to use it. The best thing about it is that there is no wasteful packaging. The kits come with all sorts of plastic and cardboard bits that really aren't necessary. The other good thing is that we get to pick our toppings. It only takes one evening to make all of the parts and set everything up and the houses are the perfect size.
I made four sets of parts this year. One for each builder. This way the kids visiting get to take their house home when they are done. Luca seemed very proud of his when his Dad came to pick him up. Callie did an excellent job on her house. (The one on the left.) The only trouble with it and unfortunately all the houses was that we got very heavy candy this year. The trick to gingerbread house making is to decorate before you build so once the parts are loaded with candy it can be tricky to assemble. I had about a half dozen soup cans with each house as support while the icing dried.
No comments:
Post a Comment