June 24, 2016

Father's Day at Stave Falls Dam

Since I work for BC Hydro we get regular reminders about some of the activities we can do that relate to our facilities. One in particular has always peaked my interested because it's relatively close by and has regular appearances in TV and movies including X-Files and X-Men. The Stave Falls Dam was built in the early 1900's when they retired the old powerhouse in favour of a newer one slightly down stream in 1995 they opened it as a historical site. Since I get to choose the activity on Father's day it seemed like a great opportunity to drag the family out.
I do say drag because I wasn't really expecting it to be very exciting. Since it was just an old BC Hydro facility I was expecting to just find the old equipment in it's  original location and not much else. As it turns out they did quite an excellent job turning it into a museum and considering we don't have a lot of heritage sites on the West coast this is now one of the nicer ones I've been to. Not only can you tour most of the facility they also have an interactive area much like you would find at Science World and they've brought in a number of older electrical appliances from every decade since they were first invented.
I will admit that we were the only ones there but it was early in the morning on Father's day. Having said that, Kerry agrees that it was a good place to visit and since her class is doing electricity next year she's already planning a field trip. It will include a couple hours at the powerhouse, lunch on the beach and a 6k hike downstream to the Ruskin Dam which is on the same river. I think her students will enjoy it and I'm not just saying that because I work for BC Hydro.

No comments:

Post a Comment