February 18, 2018

Gingerbread House Extravaganza 2017

We continued our on again, off again tradition of making gingerbread houses again this year. It's a fairly involved process to create all the parts and I refuse to purchase a kit so it seems we've been doing it every second year lately. This year the plan was for each of the kids to invite two friends. I make all of the parts using a form from Lee Valley. One year I think I'll try just doing parts by cutting them out because I think it's a lot easier. I like the form because the parts come out very consistently sized and are designed to fit together. They also have imprints of the doors, windows etc. so it's a bit easier to decorate.
The last time we had kids over we had their parents over as well which I think was a bit to hectic. We had to visit with the parents and the parents felt inclined to help put together the houses which was a bit of a disaster. It was much easier for the kids to decorate themselves and have me put them together. I don't have any specific trick other than using soup cans and lot's of icing. I made one at a work function this year and we only had teacups instead of soup cans. It worked but I think we left one of the cups in the house.
We did the party like a grown up party with appetizers and non alcoholic beverages. Callie and her friends are the first picture and Carter and his friends the second picture. Not a huge difference in overall house quality however Callie and her friends had a lot of fun decorating the yards. I think they made each house a theme from a book series they are reading. I have no idea which one so I don't quite understand them. Everyone had a lot of fun and I really enjoyed eating the roof off of Callie's which was solid peppermint chocolate wafers.

No comments:

Post a Comment