BC Hydro offered to spend some effort on employee engagement this year and has set aside a modest budget for managers to do something fun with their employees. I could technically have taken myself and my two staff to do something but things get more fun when you go in slightly larger groups so my manager organized an event. We all got to make suggestions and then voted. Options included golf, horseback riding, an escape Room experience, go karting and several others. The resounding winner after the vote was go karting and we choose TBC Indoor Kart Racing in Richmond. The track is indoors and the karts are capable of going up to 70 km an hour. There were enough karts so that the 12 of us could ride in the same heat which made things much more fun. It's way better passing someone who's normal role is sending you spreadsheets to fill out. It was a hot day and I don't think I've ever sweated as much in my life but it was a lot of fun. Hard to say if there was a 'winner' but I will say I did quite well in several of the heats.
After racing we went to the downtown condo of one of our colleagues. He owns a place on Granville Street and there is a roof top patio with vistas in all directions. Food was purchased at Costco so there was plenty to BBQ and eat and I think everyone had a great time. It helped that we've had yet another sunny summer and at least for this event, no smoke. (That came a few days later.)


No comments:
Post a Comment