July 13, 2023

Europe 2023 - Day 6 - Travel to Amsterdam

Our train was scheduled to leave at 9:52a and we wanted to have breakfast at the train station so we were out the door by 7:30a. We attempted to check out but the front desk wasn't opened and the window had a security screen over it. Not sure I would want to stay here if this was my first view. We had briefly thought about a cab but we hadn't even seen a car on our street and with no one at the front desk there wasn't really an easy way to understand how we would do it. The weather was nice and our bag wheels held up well. Not sure what I would do if I had to lug the 55lb big suitcase with a broken wheel. 
We got to the station and had a quick breakfast and were ready to check in 90 minutes before our departure time like good travelers. Turns out we were really just in the way. Our train departure and assigned platform weren't even on the board yet so we didn't know where to go. We asked security and they just pointed 'go that way'. We waited for 20 minutes to figure out what platform and then tried to decipher whether we needed to go to 4A or 4B. We then started up an escalator expecting to hit security. Turns out there is no security in Brussels and we could have showed up two minutes before departure. 
Figuring out our train was a bit confusing because there were actually two trains stuck together running on the same route. We had to make sure to get on the right carriage of the right train. There were signs on the door that were easy to decipher. Once we were on the train they didn't even check our tickets until about an hour in. To be honest, taking the train this way was no more complicated than catching the bus. As long as you know which platform to go to and the time, you are good to go. We learned we had to check our tickets to get out at Amsterdam though so we know there are turnstiles for our next trip. No x-ray though.
We walked to our hotel again. It was a bit longer at 3.0 km but the sidewalk was a lot smoother and easier on the luggage wheels. Our hotel room has a loft again. I think both buildings were warehouses with 12 foot ceilings so to maximize space they have a lower area with a shorter ceiling and then a loft area with additional sleeping. This one was better than the last one because the stairs were less steep witha lot more headroom. There are 5 beds plus a couch bed so you could sleep 7. It's not quite downtown Amsterdam but it's been an easy walk to everything we want to see. 
 
After we checked in to our hotel we went for groceries. The front desk said the red store was cheaper than the blue store so we went to the red store. Prices in London were expensive plus the Pound exchange was not very favorable. The Euro however is a better exchange rate and the prices so far have been good. We've also only found smaller grocery stores which is nice. I liked that their dairy area was enclosed (At least for the one we went to) I'm really not sure why we still allow stores to have open freezers and fridges. Not very energy efficient. 
We had booked tickets for the Van Gogh museum for the afternoon. There was a minor hiccup in that kids are free so we didn't have to pay, however we were still supposed to have booked the free tickets. The ticket agent was nice and let us all in anyways. There are a few of his good paintings but Starry Night is in New York. The thing that struck me was I had no idea how many paintings he had done. I guess in his last year he was doing a painting a day and since he wasn't famous yet most of it was still with his family. I'm not really an art buff but I think my favorite of the old artists is Van Gogh. 

We walked back toward our hotel and managed to not get hit by a bike. Bikes are everywhere. In the streets, on the sidewalks, in front of doors, in the canal, on the balconies and I'm sure if I could see them, on the roofs too. Most of the streets appear to have been designed for bikes, then people, then if there is room, cars. They are also a menace. I will have nightmares about the free wheel of a bike spinning and bike bells. I think part of the issue is that many of them are single speed so people don't want to lose their momentum. Look both ways, twice, and then again. 
We ended the day with dinner on the street. It was a nice Italian place. Don't get up from your seat too quickly because you might get hit by a bike driving by. Many of the places here don't automatically include water with your meal and when you ask for water they ask if you want 'still' water. I prefer to call that just water and water with bubbles is spicy water. The water came in a very nice bottle that said 'Still' so I guess they know what they are talking about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment