July 9, 2026

Schwab Family Cruise 2026 - Kusadasi

I really had no idea what to expect in Turkey. I knew it was a primarily Muslim country and it's considered in the Middle East so I was expecting a lot of religious influence but Kusadasi feels more western European. The port was right in the middle of town and there was a giant Hollywood like sign on the hill. The town is a mix of modern and ancient and was quite clean. We arrived in port early and met up with our guide at 8:00a as today we had an actual tour planned. The cruise ship had something for $900 but we were able to find it for $300. We were part of a group of 12 and it included a van, a driver, a tour guide as well as site passes.

Our first stop was Ephesus which was about 8 km from the ocean. It was once a sea side town but 100's of years of silt had eventually closed the port and the resulting swamp bred mosquitoes which drove people from the town due to malaria. It is considered the home of Mary and once had one of the biggest libraries in the ancient world. It also had a 25,000 seat amphitheater which was under restoration while we were there. We met the Garfield of Ephesus which is a cat with an Instagram following of 14,000.
Our second stop was the Temple at Artemis which was very underwhelming at first except for the stork on top of the single pillar. It was only when our guide indicated that it was one of the seven wonders of the ancient world did I start to pay closer attention. When you consider how big the foot print was and how tall it was, it would have been very impressive. Our guide explained that at the time ruins wouldn't have been 'historic' and were quickly plundered after major events like earthquakes. Not much is left but they do figure that there has been a stork ion that column for 200+ years. 
Our final destination was a Turkish rug warehouse. The rugs themselves can take up to 6 months for a 5'x7' and start around $7,000. This particular location is supported by the government and is where the makers go to get certified. Much of the actual work is done at home by women so they can do it while running the house. They showed us the silk cocoons that is used to make some of the thread as well as how to tie the individual knots. I'm glad the government is supporting the industry because it is an artform that deserves to survive.
We got dropped off back at our port and wandered around the local Bazaar. I had assumed the 'Great' bazaar was going to be in Istanbul, but the one in Kusadasi was no slouch. Hundreds of stalls and unlike some places you visit, it had a lot more local creations versus cheap tourist fare. We had some Turkish delight which is when I realized why a Big Turk is called a Big Turk. We bought a few more souvenirs but saved our cash for when we visit Istanbul. I'll explain why you shouldn't bother getting any Turkish Lira when you visit and can stick to Euro when I do that blog. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment