September 30, 2026

Bike Ride to Vancouver

I've done this trip in the past but it was a few years ago and I really should do it more often. The goal was to bike to the Skytrain, take the train to Broadway station, bike to UBC and then follow the seawall all the way around Stanley park. I decided the National day of Truth and Reconciliation was a good opportunity since it was a Wednesday and don't really have.a tradition for this day yet. In hindsight, next time maybe I will bike to locations that have historic significance to first nations. This year though I started at the Brekka bakery. It is not healthy, but it is very good. It's at the King George station so it was a n easy place to stop on my way downtown.
One of my. goals was to wander around UBC a bit so I can get a better sense of where everything is. Although I played ultimate here periodically after university someone else always drove so I don't really know my way around. I considered stopping by to see Carter but it was 9:30a and I figured he would be taking advantage of the day off. He said he didn't get up until about noon that day. I did a quick tour and now know how to get to Carter's place easily but I think I'll come again later in the fall and spend more time. It's a big campus. 
After UBC,  it was off to Granville Island. I missed the turnoff to the seawall near UBC so took a more direct route but I had 60k planned this day so it was probably for the best. I went to the market and stopped in at my favourite Fish and Chip place. 10:30a was a bit early but they were still open. They didn't have cod anymore and I've now decided I do not like haddock for Fish and Chips. It was a bit too fishy. The weather was excellent so I ate outside with the seagulls. I generally like to bike without much gear but I think next time I'll bring a backpack so I can bring some things back. The family was disappointed I didn't bring back bagels.

On the way to Science World I biked onto the island they put in during the Olympics. I guess they needed to take away some shoreline when they put in the Olympic Village so they installed the island to make up for fish and wildlife habitat lost. It's more like a peninsula since I think you can get to it even at high tide but it would have been hard to bike on as the causeway is just a bunch of boulders. This was the first time I had ever been on the island. It has a tiny ring trail and a few rocks to sit. The view of downtown was very nice.
I made it to Stanley Park and as I started to make my way around I realized I don't think I've actually gone all the way around the seawall since I first moved down and rollerbladed around. It was funny how many old roller blading restriction signs there were. It was quite chaotic when that was popular in the early 2000's but today I didn't see anyone roller blading. The bike path is one way and there are a few parts where you can't really pass. The bikers near downtown were mostly tourists and had very poor bike etiquette but it wasn't bad once we got away from the city. I will definitely have to do this trip again.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment