May 30, 2011

Creatures in the Compost

This weekend involved a lot of destruction. Every year my gardening projects seem to get a lot bigger then I expect. Things started simple enough. Move the garden to a sunnier location which happened to have nothing in it. Once that was done though we had to clean up the side yard beside the garden. That involved clearing out a bunch of unwanted dirt. The best place for that was the location of the old garden as I'd dug out a lot of soil and it was a big hole. To do that I had to set the concrete bases for the shed Unfortunately the compost heap was in the way so it had to be emptied and moved over by about a foot.
Now I'm ready to move the compost heap to it's final location, fill the shed hole with dirt and then filter cloth and stones and finally move the shed. I manged to get the compost heap back in place but I had to add a bit of "creature defense" while I was at it. Let's just say that some animals enjoy the warmth of a warm compost heap and seem to move in every winter. I'm hoping the wire mesh will keep them at bay. I still have to build a lid for the birds.
We did manage to get all the flower baskets planted and the side garden in place. At least this portion of the yard is finished. (For this year anyways. I have longer term plans to redo everything in this area with some proper pathways, raised planters and a bit of stone work.) 
The vegetable garden is coming up nicely. I think everything has spouted and if we can get some warm weather it should really take off. It got up to 20 degrees on Sunday and you could almost see the beans growing. They came up about an inch over the course of just a few hours.
Next weekend I just have to figure out how to move a 6x8 cedar shed across the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment