July 1, 2017

Callie's Dance Recital

Callie had another amazing recital this year. It was Grandma Schwab's turn to come down and watch. The theme this year was Musical Legends including Whitney Houston, Prince and Michael Jackson. This was good for Kerry because she likes music from that era however it was a bit of a disappointment for me. Besides seeing Callie, one of the best parts of these recitals is the opportunity to hear new music you don't usually hear on the radio. Every song was one I already knew though there were at least a few interesting covers of hit songs.

Callie's first two dances were to Whitney Houston songs and her first style was lyrical. I call this the running and looking dance style and it didn't disappoint. Flowing dresses, no shoes and lot's of running and looking. Callie was excellent and now that I've seen the dance I think this is one of Callie's favourite styles as well. Every once in a while I'll catch her practicing at home and the moves she's doing are definitely from this dance.
The next dance was hiphop. A very different style from lyrical with much more abrupt moves and for this dance a much bigger class. The interesting thing with this year was I think she can actually use some of the clothes from this costume rather than having the costumes end up in our dance outfit graveyard. I think we still have all of them. Hopefully one year we'll convince her to donate some. We have to buy new every year but I'm pretty sure someone collects used outfits for school recitals.
Dances three and four were Jazz followed very quickly by ballet and were Michael Jackson related. There was only a single dance in between the two which they call a 'Quick Change'. Callie and some of the others in her group that are in both dance styles have to get undressed, then dressed followed by an update to their hair all in about 3 minutes. There was an ever so slight pause before they came out for the last dance but it isn't the worst of the night and everyone was excellent. I don't even think I could change that quickly and be ready for a completely different dance. The recital was great again and Callie continues to love dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment