Halloween is getting out of hand. It all started a few years ago when my friend Jeremy asked if I wanted to make a monster in a box which was a mix of woodworking and electronics. It was a lot of fun and ever since I've been adding a few more props. This year started in early October and was based on a comment Callie had made. Last year I had created a cemetery entrance but not a cemetery. This year I worked on adding some fence sections so we could have a fenced in cemetery. It started with a length of old looking picket fence along the front which was made with new wood with a technique for aging it.
The next step was to place the cemetery entrance and add a section of wrought iron fencing with lit up skulls. This too was new materials made to look older. The columns were solid wood and have the words Keep Out and Dead End on them. I've started making everything out of materials that will survive the rain. Unfortunately October is often quite wet and the columns I made for the cemetery entrance last year were made out of a plywood and have already started to peal. I may have to rebuild them. I also redid the archway with a lit up Cemetery sign. It's got a strobe light inside so it flickers and looks quite spooky.
The final touches for this year included a new place for the monster in a box and the coffin with the skeleton as well as a blue tooth speaker in the bushes playing spooky sounds of the cemetery. Just loud enough so that people weren't sure it was there. We had another new record for number or kids so I think people are starting to enjoy coming just for our house. Next year I plan on improving the fog chiller. Chilled fog stays close to the ground for a spookier effect and the plan is to build a chiller that looks like a cemetery crypt. Add to that some new cemetery stones and we should keep our place as spookiest house on the block.



No comments:
Post a Comment