December 22, 2024

Halloween Projects

I know I end every Halloween saying I won't be doing anymore Halloween projects for the yard but the reality is that every summer people start posting their projects and I can't help but get inspired. This year it was a vomiting skeleton. It's a quick project and I thought about a place to store it so I started in early September by looking on Facebook Marketplace for an oil drum. I was surprised at the selection available. I managed to find one that had never held liquids which just seemed easier than trying to to clean one out. A quick coat of black paint and some spray phone insulation and it was ready for green paint. Rust-Oleum has a glow in the dark green spray paint that was perfect. The next step was to find a skeleton. I had always planned on using a glow in the dark skeleton but it was initially sold out at Home Depot so I settled for one that was more realistic to the point of looking 'juicy'. At the last minute I found one at Canadian tire. Coupled with the one I had bought before this project, I added three more to the décor. I originally hooked up the water pump but I couldn't get the water to glow like I wanted so for now he's not a fountain.

The pumpkin patch is not quite the event that it was when the kids were younger. We still like Aldor Acres but things get busy and instead we end up at Port Kells which is a nursery just down the road. For what it is, it's enough of an experience that we can call it a pumpkin patch even though all the pumpkins are trucked in from other areas of their property. For some reason this year most of the pumpkins were quite green. I think the weather was wetter at key times so they didn't quite develop as nicely. carter decided to go with some big white ones which turned out really well. 
The yard decorations came together at the last minute. Some of my decorations aren't really designed for the rain so if the weather isn't looking good, I set up what I can the weekend before and then everything else comes out at the last minute. I think I need to start booking the entirety of Halloween off as it's on the verge of taking more than a day to set up. This year I'm serious when I say I'm not doing any more projects. (This is already not true.) What I've decided instead is that I'll start to improve on some of the items I have, starting with the pathway lights. I'll make some that are good year round that I can turn Halloween plus some stakes with bats to keep kids off the lawn. 


No comments:

Post a Comment