July 30, 2025

Summer in Prince George

Historically my family has taken a trip to Prince George every summer and typically in the first week of July. This year Carter had summer school and Callie was finishing up her summer semester so there wasn't really a good time to go up so rather than driving I took the plane up myself. I don't think I have flown to Prince George since my wedding and at that time I took the RCMP plane. Despite the fact that its a propeller plane, it's a quick trip. Just over an hour and once I'm in Prince George it's only a 15 minute ride to my parents place. Certainly beats the 8 to 10 hour drive that it takes us most years. It's not cheap though so only makes sense when it's one person.
For the first full day there I went out to west lake where my family has property. Usually I spend some time cleaning things up or getting rocks to secure the beach but this year there was legitimately very little for me to do. The rock wall to protect the shore is now complete and all the leaves and branches were already cleaned. My brother Eric has even cleared out most of the underbrush. This year's project will have to be some headstones for the various pets we have buried there. 
The highlight of the trip was being able to prove my brother wrong despite him being 110% sure he was correct. At Christmas he gave me a blue cooler like the one on the left which confused me. He said he had found a duplicate to replace the one I had lost. This made no sense to me because I knew my parents still had the cooler and I was certain the one that had been left behind at a hotel during one of our vacations was very different. He insisted though so I had to wait until this visit to go out to the shed and show him the cooler. I even showed him a picture of the type I had actually been responsible for getting into the vehicle. He's still skeptical but the parents back up my version of the story.
For another one of the days my brother drove me back to his place in Quesnel after dinner and I stayed the night. We then got up the next day and checked out Barkerville. I think it's the best historic site in BC and people up north know all about it but people down south have often never heard of it. If you are ever in the neighborhood I highly recommend it. We checked out the town and had lunch and took a hike around the outskirts of the town along the ridge. This place was almost impacted by fire this past year which would have been a tragedy. They take fire safety here very seriously. 




No comments:

Post a Comment