December 30, 2023

Halloween

We're not too many years away for skipping the pumpkin patch completely at Halloween. The last two years we've gone to the local patch in stead of Aldor Acres and this year it was only Kerry, Carter and I. Carter is very particular about his pumpkin so he likes to have a selection that's bigger than what you would get at Safeway or Superstore. Port Kell's is a good clean alternative to a full on pumpkin patch. I think they grow some of their own pumpkins but I think they buy some as well. The patch is just an overflow parking lot with lots of selection and there is no mud. There's also a covered indoor area for the kids to play.

I was considering not doing a Halloween decoration this year but I had a project in mind for the past few. years and decided at the last minute to see if I could pull it off. It starts with two 5x5 pieces of plywood cut into 30 inch squares. I then used the CNC to create four sections of each of Kang and Kodos. Once they are cut to shape and the lines are carved in 1/8 of an inch deep, it's a simple job to paint them. It has the appearance of taking talent to make with the reality of being veery precise due to the CNC. They turned out quite good. I had practiced with a Maggie. At least this year, I created things that store fairly easily in the shed.
I got lucky with the weather again. It was nice for a full week leading up to Halloween. This meant I could get everything out a few days in advance without having to worry about rain. The rain even held off until the day after so it was a clean job putting everything away. I don't plan on adding any more big items unless I win the lottery and can afford a storage unit. I may decide to continue to improve on certain things to make them look good during the day and allow them to get wet. Right now everything looks good in the dark but not great during the day and most of it can't get wet. The neighbourhood always has good things to say and some kids stick around for a while to take everything in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment