This blog is intended for friends and family of Evan, Kerry, Callie, Carter and Oliver.
July 25, 2024
Kauai 2024 - Day 2 - Exploring North Kauai
I was planning on starting this post with something about chickens but I'll save that for later. Instead I'll start by talking about giant snails. Gary is the biggest snail I have ever seen in the wild. It reminded us of that question of whether you would trade 100 million dollars in return for a snail that tracks you for the rest of your life and if he touches you, then you die. If this was that snail I'm not sure I would take that deal. He moves quicker than your average snail and they apparently can get as big as your hand. As far as I've researched, this is a Giant African snail and they are an invasive species though I don't know if they encourage you to kill them. We let Gary live.We purposely don't have a lot planned for this part of our trip. Summer has already been hectic and there is a lot going on with a Disneyland trip so Kauai is intended for condo and beach time. For our first day our only plan was to explore our local surroundings and figure out what beaches look good. There are several near us that look nice and we stopped at a few to check out the surf. So far Kauai has not been very busy, at least early in the morning. Plenty of parking whenever we wanted to stop somewhere. We made it all the way to the most northern part of the public road. Tomorrow we will go in the opposite direction.The only minor issue we've had so far with travelling around has been the one way bridges. It always takes a bit to understand an individual one way bridge and figure out how busy it is and if it's your turn to go yet. Kerry likes it best when someone gets there first because we know we can just go right after them. There are lots of signs that say it's local curteousy to let 5 - 7 vehicles go. We did okay but there was at least one bridge where we felt it was our turn and someone else went instead. We also watched someone yell at this poor guy on the tractor which seems an odd thing to get mad at.We stopped at a local shopping area as it had several items from Kerry's lit on it including shaved ice, a donut place and the ability to rent river kayaks. We weren't planning on renting them until a future day but we wanted to see what the rental place was like. The shopping area was great and parking wasn't too bad. We got some bread, donuts, shaved ice and Callie found a nice island cat to pet. We'll likely stop in here several times including trying to get to the bakery earlier as it was partially closed with not much selection by the time we got there.The plan for dinner included hot dogs and roasted pineapple so I went to the pool to use the the BBQ's. This is one of the better outdoor areas I've seen at a condo and the BBQs were well maintained. They even had a freezer where you could buy ice and a water filtration system. I think Kauai water is likely pretty good to start with but running it through the filter made it great. We are set for water for the week. I had several gecko friends to keep me company and so far we've seen cockroaches at both our hotels. I think they become difficult to keep out when you go anywhere warm. Tomorrow we will be exploring the south end of the island.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment