July 28, 2024

Kauai 2024 - Day 4 - Inland Kayaking

Today's adventure was inland kayaking. There is a place just a few minutes from our condo that offers kayaking on a local river and they have their own little channel that provides direct access. The original plan was for us to get two doubles but Carter and I were both a bit worried about the other and felt there was a high chance of capsizing so we decided to get our own singles. We didn't really need to worry though as the kayak's were very stable and they have a dock that allows for you to easily get in. Kerry and Callie didn't have any problems in their double. I was glad I got a single though as it allowed me to explore a few spots that would have been hard in a double.

When you first go out of the channel and into the main part of the river it feels like there is a lot of current but I think it was an illusion. If you stopped paddling it would take several seconds before you started going in the opposite direction and on our way back it felt almost the same as when we paddled out. I think the wind had more of an impact. The scenery was nice, though I was expecting more from the wildlife refuge and had hoped we'd be able to get out of the kayak. You just paddle up river till you hit a red pipe and then you turn around. I'm still glad we did it. It was a good couple of hours of exercise.
On our way back from paddling we stopped for fish & chips and fish tacos and then went to Hanalei Pier. It's a beautiful beach surrounded by mountains and there is a pier that juts out where you can jump off. The water is fairly shallow as Carter indicated he could touch almost all the way to the end of the pier. I went back to the Jeep for a short nap and was awoken to rain coming in the windows. It quickly became an absolute down pour with the rest of the family getting soaked on their way back. The rain in Kauai comes on sudden but ends just as quickly. You need to get to cover fast when it does.
When we got back to our hotel the family of chickens was back and we caved and decided to feed them. They aren't natural inhabitants anyways and it's obvious they get fed by some of the units. We had some stale bread which they loved and it was fun watching the mama chicken break the big pieces up and let her kids eat first. It was only when they got bored that she would eat anything herself. When the babies were done they took a break underneath her. The roosters are not as kind and are quite greedy so we're trying not to feed them. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment