May 4, 2020

The Big Pause - Day 52 - May 2 - Painting a Door

Two years ago I bought some paint. Today I used that paint. The door leading into our garage was terribly marked up and the paint on it was deteriorating. My assumption is that the previous owners used indoor paint when they tried to paint over the old green doors. The paint they used seemed to be turning to dust and was impossible to clean. I took the door off Saturday morning and spent an hour or so sanding down the old paint and prepping it for new Rustoleum paint designed for outdoors. The sanding went much quicker than I was expecting. My orbital sander worked great on the flat parts and I had a sanding sponge for the profiles. The painting went not too bad but drying took much too long. It was about 17 degrees out and I had no door so what should have been 4-6 hours at room temperature was still tacky after 6. I created some supports by taping over some wood and flipped the door and did the second side. I was worried it would stick permanently but luckily it came off with no damage. Two year task complete.
In between coats I went over to the trail to pick up garbage. It's a bit spooky walking through the woods around here because there are homeless people in some of the empty lots so when I heard a knocking sound that seemed to be only feet away I was a bit freaked out. Turns out it was a wood pecker pecking into a stump. Based on the amount of wood around the stump he's been using this tree for food for a while. It's about half the original diameter and only about 10 feet tall. I'm not saying he chopped it down but he probably made it fall quicker than it would have without him. I'm assuming it was a him. I'll have to do some research on which of the wood peckers is more colorful. This one had a lovely red head dress on.

No comments:

Post a Comment