May 10, 2020

The Big Pause - Day 59 - May 9 - Ring the Bell


Saturday was very warm. It got up to 28 degrees which is not necessarily out of the ordinary but was a big jump from the high teens we have had for the past few weeks. Sunday is Mother's day so Carter and I went to Fresh Street to get a few things for his plan to provide noon tea. We were both thrilled when we saw that they were selling plants including cucumelons. These little cucumbers that look like melons are quite tasty and I've only ever been able to grow them from seed so it was nice to see some seedlings ready to go. I also picked up some lettuce and tomatoes. The garden is almost full.
The afternoon was spent teaching Oliver a new trick. A few weeks ago I saw a pet training bell available on Amazon and figured that would be a fun trick to teach him. It has a button with a paw print on the top. Some might use it to train him to do something but I felt it would be more fun to teach him to tell us something. For now that means he rings it when he wants a treat.  It probably only took about 20 minutes spread over the course of the day to teach him. I started by having him shake hands and I placed the bell in my hand. When he hit it he got a treat. After a while I put the bell on the round. He can now be told to 'Ring the bell' and he will h it it with  his paw. We even left it by his food accidentally and he came along and rang it and dinner time. He is one smart dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment