April 1, 2020

Carter's Passion Project

Carter is in grade six this year and was given an interesting assignment. He got 4 months to do a 'Passion Project'. He could pick any topic and do whatever he wanted as long as he was passionate about it. It could be a report or in his case a physical build. We had seen plans for this hydraulic arm before and decided it would be a good project to work on. He teamed up with his best friend Jevin and his initial plan was to do a prototype in cardboard since that was what many of the online videos showed. This seemed like a good idea but I think we didn't really have the right cardboard so the first example was less than successful.
Luckily I happen to have a fairly well equipped shop and the skills to take a fun project and take it to the extreme. I of course did help them with deciding on things like materials but my goal was to have them do as many of the steps that they could. This included using the scroll saw, drill press, handsaw, drill and hammer. They were also responsible for any sort of painting and when it came to the build, I helped with the initial assembly but as we were nearing the end we took the whole thing apart and they had to build it themselves. In the end we were successful in lifting and moving a pop can. Great fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment