April 5, 2020

The Big Pause - Day 25 - April 5 - Exploring the Neighbourhood

Another normal Sunday for us. Carter won't let a Sunday go without pancakes and bacon. Even if we have to miss it for some reason he finds way of working it in later in the week so its best to just do it right on Sunday. I was then tasked with going for groceries. We've given up on going to Superstore as it was getting too crazy. Our local market is much more manageable. There is of course no toilet paper unless you go first thing in the morning but most other things are in stock. I've noticed their meat section is empty now. I don't know if that's because they are concerned about COVID or if people just aren't going often enough to buy fresh.
Carter and I attempted to go to the park to play some basketball. We didn't plan on playing with anyone when we got there and the park is usually pretty empty so we felt we were meeting our physical distancing requirements. Unfortunately it seems the City of Surrey isn't trusting anyone and not only was the playground taped off, the basketball hoops all had a piece of plywood installed. Carter now has me looking into buying a basketball hoop for our front yard. I've never felt it was necessary since the school is 200 meters away but I guess it makes sense to get one now. More research on that tomorrow.
On our way back, we decided to check out some recently built houses that are for sale. They are on a new road that ends in a dead end. I was hoping there would be a trail that we could take to the next road over. Unfortunately there wasn't one so I was excited to explore the idea of doing some trail blazing with Carter. I got to do that as a kid in PG but it's not an easily executed past time in the big city. In this case, there is a sign that explicitly says that the road will eventually be extended. My feeling is we're just helping them get started. It's about 100m and today we managed to get the basic pathway defined. Over the next week we'll get rid of the smaller plants and make sure all bigger branches are cut out of the way. It will actually be quite useful as a short cut for people looking to travel between the two sheets. It's a public service really.

Dinner was bbq chicken wings and Callie made twisted bread. It was delicious with strawberry Jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment