April 13, 2020

The Big Pause - Day 31 - April 11 - Assembling the Hoop

It's day two of the four day weekend. We have to wait at least 72 hours before we can finish installing the basketball hoop however there were several steps we could do to get prepared. The first started with a step that I'm sure had the neighbors wondering what the hell I was up to. The post for the hoop comes in two sections but rather than just bolting two sections together the bottom section is crimped at the top and the top section slides over it very tightly. The instructions called the next step 'slamming' and it involved putting the two sections together and then lifting up both sections and slamming them on the ground. The top section had to move about 3 inches and only dropped down about 1/8 of an inch each time. There was a very large metal slamming sound with each step. After the 'slamming' we assembled the arms that hold the backboard and set it aside. We will probably install the pole on Monday and then attach the backboard on Tuesday.
In the afternoon I worked on getting ready to finish up our new fire place install. Delays in the gas hookup and fire place install meant my part got pushed back past the point of me being interested in it so it's a bit delayed now. The existing mantle is still in excellent shape but we had to remove it for the install and I have to raise it 3 inches so that the combustible parts are far enough away from the heat. We also had to remove the hearth which was ugly pink tile. When we replace our floor we'll avoid having a hearth at all but for now I built a white hearth that covers the existing hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment